Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of School

So... today was the first day of school for Becca and Nick. Becca is happy to be a Sophomore. She is lovin' high school. I can't believe she is this old. Nick is a Senior and is excited to get out of school early each day because he already has enough credits.
At Cordova, where I work, we did not have students until Tuesday. Mr. Gunn, our principal, has a tradition of serving cookies and milk after the first day of school for the teachers. They can sit around and talk about their day.
Mr. Coey and Dr. Griffith enjoyed their cookies! (so did Mr. Chavez there in the back...)
I find it interesting that every year our office is FULL of students that don't get picked up after school those first few days. The Primary school actually had little ones there until almost 6:30. (our office closes at 4:30) They get out at 2:30. What's with the parents, anyway?? It reminds me of the time I forgot to pick up my second grader, Becca, on an early release day. I went at the normal time and she was sitting out on the curb all by herself. I felt so bad! I don't know why she didn't go in and have the office call me. Maybe it was her timid nature. I always had a hard time remembering that on Tuesdays she got out early.
Anyway, we are now into the routine of seminary, band practice and school! No more sleeping in at our house...

3 comments:

heidi said...

i can't believe that school has already started. it seems like it never started until the END of august for me. i guess this way the get to be done earlier as well.
i remeber not being picked up from school a couple of times. lucky for me we lived within a couple of miles, i would always start to walk home.

Unknown said...

Sounds busy- we start next week. It will be nice to get into a routine before the new addition to our family.

julie said...

I cried for about an hour on my drive home today cause summer is over :( I am just so sad about this I can hardly stand it. I just wish I could hit rewind and do it all over again. I am so glad that Becca loves school and I can't believe she is a sophomore! When exactly did she grow up?