Tuesday, August 08, 2006

We got a dog!

Roxy is getting leashed up for her first walk down the block. Look at those happy faces! All three! Roxy is so beautiful and the kids are so in love with her already! She gives great doggie kisses.
The kids have wanted a dog ever since we became a family. I think they each wanted a dog even BEFORE we became a family! We have talked about it for quite some time and I have protested that I just cannot take care of another living thing. It is enough for me to work, take care of my home and family, and do my church calling. However, I have relented because I know it is so good for the kids. They are so excited! We picked out a name even before we saw the dog. We started out looking on websites. We thought maybe we would get a doberman or a labrador. We settled on a lab. There is a breeder right in the city of Peoria. We placed calls yesterday and could not get a response. She finally called back today while I was on my lunch break at work and I made an appointment to go see the puppies tonight. Nick and Becca were so excited! We warned them that the right dog might not be there and that we were looking for some particiular traits. We want a dog that is friendly, sweet, smart and beautiful. We actually found the right one. When we got there, the golden lab that we really wanted to see had been sold that morning. There were three black females left. We observed the way the pups reacted when we extended our hands. One was too big, and one was totally too hyper and nippy. The other pup was just what we were looking for. She was happy to see us and she licked away, but did not nip at us. She has very bright and intelligent eyes. She has the cute puppy body and will have to grow in to her feet. We brought Roxy home and the kids are so in love with her already. I know it will be a great addition to our family, even though I do not want her in the house, I do not want to feed her or clean up after, I do not want to SMELL her, and I do not want to listen to her whine. Oh well, I guess I am in love with her, too. She does come over to me for some mommie loves. We are looking forward to taking her on our hikes and plan on taking her camping with us over Labor Day weekend. Welcome to the family, Roxy!

2 comments:

Chris Grover said...

We recently bought a little chocolate lab too and I tell ya, we are soooo IN LOVE with him! I always hear really great things about labs, and it looks like you found just the right one for your family! Have fun!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you broke down- can't wait to hear all of the adventures.