Friday, November 10, 2006

Honoring a Veteran on Veteran's Day

A rare photo of Dad and the kids (I'm the one he has his arm around). He was usually the photographer. We had some really amazing family vacations.
Dad at the park in Syracuse. I think this picture was taken in the late fall of 2003.
This photo Dad is in Janet's kitchen at one of the many wonderful dinners she has hosted for us.
Today is Veteran's Day, November 10, 2006. Most folks like this day because they get a holiday from work - I do like that part myself. However, I have been thinking of what it is really all about and I think of my dear old dad. Today, he is a, 81-year-old World War II Veteran. He spent at least two (if not three) years in the Navy during the war, and unselfishly served his country. He left behind his home and sweetheart, as an 18 year old boy, just graduated from a small high school in a small town in Utah. Throughout my growing up years (and even now to his grandkids), my dad would tell us wonderful and amazing stories of his childhood growing up on the Uintah Basin. He lived in a little two room shack, slept in a "boarded up tent," herded cows and sheep, fed pigs and chickens, was chased down and pounced upon by a giant turkey from hell, threw dirt clods in the air as he daydreamed, ate plumb sandwiches wrapped in newspaper, milked cows, butchered livestock, gathered eggs, rode his horse to school, and was afraid of "Old Red Fingernail," a scary Indian that would sic is dogs on dad as he was riding his pony to school. He told many stories of encounters with the Indians, in particular an old woman that cornered him and his friend in the store with a bull whip, of getting lice because the Indian kids would wear his hat, the Bear Dance, and of his Indian cousins. He can even speak a little "Ute". I never tire of hearing him share his experiences, past and present. I could go on and on with stories my dad has told me. But what I really wanted to say today is that this Uintah Basin country boy is my hero. He worked so hard to rise above the circumstances from which he came, and he loved his growing up years - never begrudged the fact that his mother died when he was only an infant and that he was somewhat passed around from home to home during his raising. And when he was barely out of high school, he joined up and went to war. He served with honor and was injured during his service. He came home and married his sweetheart, went to college on the GI bill and worked his whole life (often many jobs at one time) to take care of his wife and children. I cannot remember when he did not have a "bad back." I can remember playing on the lawn of the VA hospital as Mom visited him when he had a spinal fusion. I cannot remember a time when he did not live without pain, but he never complained. Dad - today I honor you. I honor your valor. I honor your integrity. I honor your work ethic. I honor your love of God, your love of country, and your love of family. You are an amazing man, and I am so bless to be your daughter. Thank you for everything. I know this will never adequately express all the feelings I have for you, but I love you. I could never have asked for a more perfect and wonderful Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love my grandpa! He is so awesome and he passed that on to you:)