Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Trouble at School

These are some thoughts I composed on Tuesday, March 6. Monday night (March 5) at dinner, Nick casually announces that a kid in his band class held a knife to his throat. After much prodding, he told the story: Nick had on his drum. They were in the back room with no one else, and this kid comes up to him and tries to put goggles on him, telling him he "is required" to wear them. Nick gets peeved and shoves the kid aside. The kids says "hold on" and takes the knife out of his pocket, grabs Nick's shoulder and holds the blade of the knife to his throat, touching his skin with it. Some other kids start to come in, so the kid moves the knife and no one else sees it. This kid has been an irritation all year long. He is a foul-mouthed little twerp. He has bugged Nick on many occasions and I just tell Nick to ignore him and stay away from him. The kid got kicked off the drum line because he didn't attend a mandatory practice before a performance during Fall Break. He went to an all night drinking party instead (supposedly his mom knew about it). I never heard her say a thing about him getting kicked off the drumline. He shouldn't even have been in that back room with Nick at all. Nick did not tell the teacher about the incident. I don't think he told anyone. I went into the Dean's office with him and filled out the incident report the next morning. We couldn't let this one slide. I don't want this kid in class with Nick anymore. I don't want any repercussions. The bad thing is - this kid's mom is also a Cortez employee - she is the cafeteria manager. Of course, the kid has denied the incident. The administrators did a full blown investigation. They called in students that have contact with Nick and this other kid in the class. They asked me not to speak to the other mom, which I have not. But I do want to see her when this is over and let her know there is nothing personal. I know she is really hurting over this. She has a lot of issues to deal with in her life as a single mom, etc. But I'll be damned if I will let my son back into class with that kid! The kid got suspended for 5 days and it will be permanent once the investigation is over and they find out the truth. I could have gone to the police with this one, but decided to let the school handle it. I have confidence in my administration. Mr. Hernandez called me in and we talked in detail about what is happening - he let me know that he has two mothers (both employees) that say their son is NOT lying. He also said that no matter what the outcome is, this other Mom is going to say the school sided with Nick and me. I just have to trust them to get to the bottom of it, but it is frustrating. It is difficult because there were no eye witnesses unless one of the kids that walked in saw this kid pull the knife away. This kid also showed Nick a knife on another occasion. All I can say: I AM SO FRUSTRATED! This whole situation is so stinky! And I really do believe Nick. I just hope they can get to the bottom of it. This is going to be one really hard afternoon to sit at my desk. Mr. Hernandez also said he hopes there will be some consequences if it missing pieces indicate that Nick was wrong. Of course there will be, but I really don't think that will be an issue. Nick has never lied to me. He doesn't make this kind of stuff up. He said he was shaking through the whole class yesterday after that happened. It would all have been over and done with if he had stepped forward yesterday - but he has never liked to be a "tattle tail." Well, I hope he starts tattling his butt off if that's what it will take to stop stuff like this from happening. Just thought I'd let you guys in on my great day at work...

No comments: