Tuesday, January 29, 2008

When Ye Have Done It Unto The Least of These

I had a very interesting experience tonight. My visiting teachers were here, and my phone rang. I always try to answer in case there is a need in the church, so I answered. It was the Stake Clerk who happens to be a member of my ward. They had received a phone call from a woman that was in a health care facility that was within the boundaries of our ward. She needed some clothing, and they asked me to check in on her to see if we could help (of course, the wanted me to get approval from the bishop first). Now this lady is not a church member, and I don't know how she knew to even call the church. I finished up the visit with my friends, and headed out. I was a little nervous and offered a quick prayer for guidance. I wasn't aware that it was a MENTAL health care facility until I got there. I signed in, had to put my purse and phone in a locker and go behind the "doors." I asked the attendant for the lady and the showed me to the cafeteria to wait while they went to get her. She came out and we sat down to visit. She said she had been there since Thursday, but had no clothing other than what she had on. She wanted some clean clothing to wear. She said she would like some different soap, as the soap there was irritating her skin. She also said she would appreciate a sweater, if that wasn't asking too much. She told some of her sad, heart breaking story as she briefly told me how she came to be there - that she had no real family except a 4 year old son whom she was not allowed to see. I kept looking in to her eyes. I want so much to see the daughter of God in there somewhere behind the troubled life. I had to look real deep. She asked for a bible as well, and said she did go to church sometimes. She gave me a list of what she wanted. I asked her if it was alright if I sent the sister missionaries to visit her to lend some spiritual support. She said that would be okay. I left there with an unsettled feeling, wondering if there was any good to be done with her, but the thought about the scripture that tells us about visiting the sick, the imprisoned, taking in the stranger, clothing the naked, etc. entered into my mind and I was comforted. In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom-
You are soo amazing! She will be better for you coming to her aid. You definitely represented the Savior in that endeavor.

Allan and Diane said...

well as I said before, the Lord certainly knew who he needed to serve the women in your area. You are an amazing, sensitive, kind and thoughtful person. What a challenging and enriching experience that must have been.