Friday, August 22, 2008

Coke Explosion

This is Miss Kennedy. She is a first year teacher and is brave enough to teach science to the Jr. High Kids. Today she had "Wacky Science Friday" and did the Coke Explosion with her 8th grade classes. The ingredients: 7 white Mentos and 1 two liter bottle of Diet Coke. She bought the flask that fits on top of the bottle at a teacher's supply store. It is much better than the paper cone that I have used.
Class, give me a count down... 3.... 2..... 1....... pull!

Whoosh! The kids were certainly "engaged" with this particular science experiment.

Just look at that thing! It only took about 4 seconds for the geyser to gush and then it was over.

Isn't she so cute! I saw her walking her students to lunch the other day, and she is smaller than the majority of her kids. The only way you could tell she wasn't a student is because she was dressed in a cute frilly skirt, and the kids have to wear their uniforms.

4 comments:

Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

I love your pictures! I'm a teacher, too, and I plan to use Steve Spangler's Mentos Geyser this semester.

You might suggest to Miss Kennedy that she sign up for the Experiment of the Week! I did, last spring, and the ideas and experiments and videos have been appearing in my email weekly ever since. They're fantastic, too; my kids are crazy about them.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment-of-the-week.html?source=blog

Rachell's Place said...

How fun! I wish I had science teachers that did more things like that. I probably would have paid more attention in class :)

Unknown said...

My kids LOVED when Eric and Emily did that for them.

Bethany said...

Looks like something Becca or Nick would do out of boredom... in your livingroom...