Monday, October 20, 2008

The 5 Things Lesson

Last night we had a stake Relief Society fireside. The speaker came down from St. Johns. I have never heard of this place, but was told it is just a little podunk town in Northern AZ. The speaker was willing to come down and share some things she had learned from some of the hard stuff that life had dealt her. 3 years ago, her husband was killed in an auto accident. She had known him since she was 15 and he was the love of her life. She just didn't know how she was going to go on. After much coaxing, she went to a Women's Conference with a friend and learned a great deal. As she learned new things, she applied them to her life and is sharing with others. She has given her speech in every ward in her town, and people are inviting her other places now. She said that before you get out of bed every day you are to ask yourself these 5 questions and answer them:
  1. What do I love about myself?
  2. What do I have to look forward to today?
  3. What does Heavenly Father want me to learn?
  4. Who can I serve?
  5. What am I grateful for?

She then said "Don't forget to laugh out loud every day!"

I thought this was all very profound. I am a believer in affirmations and in being positive. I totally look for the joy in life with every experience. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us, and I try to be in tune with that everyday. I believe that if you want to love someone, you should serve them. I also believe in gratitude. And I love to laugh. So her philosophy was nothing new to me, but it was well organized and I liked the "5 Things Lesson." I have committed to myself to ask and answer these questions each day. It is a worthy challenge.

4 comments:

Allan and Diane said...

thanks for this great post. I love those 5 questions and will hang them in my bedroom. Life is so good when you recognize the Lord's hand daily.

Alice Faye said...

I use to be so un-organized. Your Dad would say to me, "Faye, you are always a day late and a dollar short." I have to admit he was right but he said it in good fun and we both had a good laugh. He would be proud to know that I have applied some of those five questions in my life and now life is even better with much more depth and commitment to it. I too will put the questions where I can see them every day and remember the author of them and express more thanks for my blessings.

Rachell's Place said...

Thanks for sharing that! Sometimes our lives can get so hectic we seem to forget to ask ourselves those questions.

Bethany said...

I was sad I missed that fireside (my brain does not always remind me to remember:), but I was fortunate to have a friend tell me about it... Good things...