Tuesday, January 27, 2009

thank you, Elijah!

A couple of weeks ago, we had a marvelous lesson in Relief Society on Elijah and what his purpose was. It has been on my mind every since. Rod and I are taking a class together, and we were asked to list our priorities in the first class, which was just before the Elijah lesson. Let me share my top 5 priorities:
  1. Eternal life with Rod.
  2. Loving and lasting relationships with my family members
  3. Finding joy in life (men are that they might have joy)
  4. Being healthy
  5. Live within our means

Now, in our lesson we review the fact that through the higher priesthood, Elijah brought forth the sealing power. This is in direct correlation with my top priority. Without that marvelous gift of sealing, we could never be with our loved ones in the hereafter. One of the most sacred experiences of my life was kneeling in the temple with Rod and having that blessing bestowed upon us by a worthy temple sealer. This was a very bitter/sweet experience also, as this was my second experience of being sealed. When I divorced, my biggest worry was what would happen with my girls and the fact that they were born in the covenant, but that I was no longer sealed to their father. I received a letter signed by Gordon B. Hinckley, Thomas S. Monson, and James E. Faust. This letter contains the best news ever given to me. It states:

"Children born in the covenant or sealed to parents are assured the right and privilege of eternal parentage based upon their individual faithfulness and agency. If such children remain worthy, these birthright blessings remain secure in the event that the sealing of their parents as husband and wife is canceled. For each of us, the realization of eternal blessings is conditioned upon personal worthiness and individual agency. Such blessings, including our eternal family relationships, will be determined by our wise and loving Father after we have completed our mortal probation. "

I was so happy when I received this letter and found that the sealing of my children was still intact. All was not lost, after all. Of course, we are always told that such blessings are predicated upon our own personal worthiness. I love my girls more that words can express. They are precious and magnificent and I am privileged to have played a part in bringing them to this earth. I think of my dear parents, and the heritage they have given me. I love my sisters and my brother - they are such a huge part of who I am. I am so thankful to have eternal ties to the family of my childhood. This also means that my girls are still sealed to their father, whom they also love. And it means they have those eternal ties to their sweet grandmothers who have passed on, and to all their other relatives and ancestors who fall under the sealing powers.

I am also thankful to have eternal ties with the family of my adult hood. My, how our roles in life change! There is no one I think of more often, I would rather spend time with, than my incredible children and my adorable grandchildren, and of course my soul-mate, Rod. That I have eternal ties with these valiant children of God is a blessing for which I am grateful beyond expression. Thank you, Elijah!

11 comments:

Tricia said...

Thanks for you uplifting words. I was also so excited about the lesson on Elijah that I had to go home and read through the lesson again. What an amazing experience it would have been to be alive during the time of the Kirkland Temple!

You have such a wonderful perspective on life and I love reading about your sweet family. YOu have made such a HUGE impact on me and helped mold me into the person I am today. Thank you!!!!

Kori said...

Thank you so much for sharing such special feelings. What neat words from our past First Preesidnecy. Isn't the gospel the greatest?! I love how our Father has thought of everything.

Love you!

heidi said...

thanks for sharing, being in nursery I don't get to hear the great lessons every week and personal study only takes me so far.
I love the great photos, its so good to know that we will be with our loved ones forever.

Sarah MomE25 said...

Thank you for sharing that Aunt Karla. The prophets letter to you is beautiful. Its nice to know that Heavenly Father will take care of everything for us.

mandy said...

I never realized what a wonderful gift the sealing power was until I had my own family. What a wonderful blessing it has been in my lafe. Thank you for the words of enlightenment.

Allan and Diane said...

What a beautiful post Karla. You have had some amazing experiences in your life, and have found the good in each. I am so glad that you have such peace and joy in your life -- which is a direct result of your faithfulness. You have always been an inspiration to your familly and friends (including me). Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Janet said...

Very cute picture of you and Rod!

Patty said...

I loved your beautiful post. You really are an amazing woman. I need to stop by more often to get edified.

Alice Faye said...

Karla, you are truly gifted with writing your thoughts and impressions. I have enjoyed reading this particular post. Duane and I have had some experiences explaining the very thing you have written about. There is much relief expressed by parents when they realize the sealing power of children is still in effect even after a divorce. Thanks for sharing.
I love seeing the pictures of your family. They sure bring back some sweet memories for me. (I talked to your Dad recently. It sounds like he is doing better.)

Bethany said...

I can only imagine how hard that would have been for you, not knowing. Isn't it nice that the Presidency cares enough about us to answer our questions?

Krystal said...

Thanks for the good reminder, and words of truth and hope. The gospel is the best! It was so good to see you guys at HOlly's house. We had a lot of fun! We really need to get together. I would love that list of food storage items that you put together if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me(krystalskinner8@yahoo.com)