Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Memorial Day Camping

Rod and I love the Grand Canyon. We also love camping, which we have not done much because it is hard to take our car into the wilderness. But now we have a truck! So over Memorial Day (yes, I am very late in making this post) we went camping on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We took a forest service road and got as far away from other human beings as possible.
Yes, that is snow. It was FREEZING!!! But we made a huge fire and hunkered down for the night, snug in our little tent.
Our Coleman stove did not work, so we just cooked our dinner right on the open fire. Simple fare - weenies and beans. The were fabulous! And hot chocolate, too!
It really was not very comfortable because of the cold, but I would certainly do it again! The next morning, I got up and sat by the fire in the sunshine to warm up. As I was enjoying my book, I heard a noise that I had never heard before . . . I looked up and there was this huge, black bird flying by. The sound was his wings beating the air. It was my moment to commune with nature. Very cool!
Of course, we did go to the "tourist" place where the people are so we could view the canyon. There is nothing quite like it...
On our way home we drove past the Vermilion Cliffs. Very beautiful red rock country. There is no camera that can capture the grandeur or beauty of this place. I will treasure this little overnight getaway with my favorite guy forever!

No comments: