Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

This post is just a little trip down memory lane and a tribute to a wonderful father because today is his birthday. Yes, my dear old dad was a Valentine's gift to his mother. And she loved him so much that she gave him to her sister when he was born because she knew she was going to die in a very short time. He was raised in very poor circumstances, and lived in different homes with different families. Yet he says he loved his childhood. One thing I remember most about Dad is all the wonderful stories he would tell me about his growing up years. Last Saturday, I attended the world wide training meeting for all adult members in the church. It was a fantastic broadcast, with a big focus on family. As they talked about gospel centered homes, family prayer, family home evening, and spending time with our children, I sat there and wept as I thought of Mom and Dad and the amazing home they made together. Mom and Dad were together on everything - we had family prayer morning and evening. We actually knelt around our table before breakfast (I don't know any families that eat breakfast together nowadays) and before dinner. This memory is something I cherish. They never questioned "shall we go to church today?" It was something that we just did and it was a way of life. They both served diligently and completely in every calling, teaching us that serving the Lord was important and we should do it because we love Him. They taught us to work, by working with us in the home, in the yard, and on school projects. I loved getting the "worm sticks" and smashing the big fat tomatoe worms in the garden. Dad used to take me on his milk route, which I loved. We spent many happy times together as we went to the stores to pull out the milk into the case for people to buy. He would always buy me a treat, or we would sneak a carton of egg nog during Christmas time and down it together. How I loved going with my Daddy. Mom and Dad taught us to pay tithing, which they always did willingly. They taught us about faith, priesthood blessings, going to the temple. I used to love watching Mom press their temple clothing before they would go. We learned to have fun together. As kids, we had bikes, roller skates, scooters, and a really neat pogo stick. We went on some really marvelous vacations every summer, which they saved for and planned for many months. They taught us never to go into debt, but to save and pay for the things we wanted. They were never extravigant, but we never went without. I never wanted for anything as a child growing up in their home. I like this old picture of our family, but LaRue is not in it. It is an old polaroid. I loved that doggie shirt that I was wearing. Mom and Dad are young and beautiful! They were always a strong couple, and I never worried about the solidarity of my home. I love this old reassembled photo. It shows the way LaRue used to wear rollers in her hair all the time. It shows Janet's beautiful attitude about family trips. (I believe we were on the way to Tennessee this particular summer.) David is trying to tell Janet to straighten up, as he still does today, and I am just smiling in oblivion, and trying to have straight hair (like Janet). Mom is holding her trusty purse, wearing a homemade dress and sneakers, as was her custom.
This photo of dad was taken at the park in Syracuse, the fall after Rod and I were married. Isn't he so handsome! This photo of Mom and Dad was taken when we went to the circus at the E-center. I thought it was the Delta Center, so we were almost late!
Here is Dad with all of his children, taken just this past Christmas. It was so good to get together. And here is Dad with ALL of his Grandchildren. Don't know if this shot will ever happen again!
Dad, I cannot express my love for you in an adequate way. Just know that I love you. You have always been there for me throughout my entire life. I thank Heavenly Father for giving me such wonderful parents, and such a loving, kind, and faithful father. Thanks, Dad!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. I love the family pictures. Savannah had a great time seeing you when you are little. We need to see more pictures like that.

Janet said...

You are a walking archive. Your memory is incredible. You should really write more about our childhood. Love you

Kori said...

I love the old pictures. They are so great for recalling old memories. Thanks so much for sharing.

Allan and Diane said...

what a fun walk down memory lane. Your dad is so cute and what funny pictures of you and your sisters growing up. You are so lucky to still have your dad.

LaRue Skinner said...

Wonderful ! Enjoyable to reminise in old visual memories. Looking forward to seeing you this summer. We should get every one together for food and fun. Love ya La