Thursday, April 08, 2010

Simple things we take for granted.

Today at Becca's and Nick's schools, they had a no shoe day. Kids actually were barefoot. This is coincidental to an experience I had. The receptionist at school asked me if I could run over to PayLess Shoes and get some shoes for some new students. These kids were refugees and this was their first day of school. We had some gift cards through a non-profit organization that helps with clothing for students like these. We tried our best to estimate sizes, and then off I went. Sherry actually traced the kids' feet. It happened to be buy one, get one half off today at PayLess. I selected the athletic type shoes that kids wear to school. One pair for the girl, and one pair for the boy. She was wearing flip-flops, which aren't allowed, and he had a pair of girl's shoes- they looked almost like bowling or golf shoes. When I came back with the shoes, I saw the kids for the first time. They were such beautiful children. You should have seen their faces when the saw their new shoes! Huge grins from ear to ear spread on their little brown faces. She was so excited because she had blue and white shoelaces, though she did not know how to put the laces in the shoes. I helped her and tied them for her. She stood up and walked around with such a pleased little face. The boy, who was younger, was also very excited about the shoes. His were too big, so I had to take them back and get a smaller pair. His teacher brought him to the office at noon to get them. He was so happy!
Now: how often do we think about something as simple as a pair of shoes. Most of us have multiple pairs. I know I do. I love shoes! But not because I have to have them to go to school. I was very touched by this experience, and it made me remember what an abundant life I have. Truly my cup runneth over - and my shoe rack does, too!

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Thank you for sharing this. We are blessed beyond belief - aren't we. It is nice to get a reminder in order to keep things in perspective.

Unknown said...

Love this story- remember it. We are all important- even refugees, immigrants etc., all children of God who deserve happiness and love. Good job mom!

Janessa Couch said...

I love this! What a beautiful and touching story. I remember in 3rd grade a girl in our school had to stay home because she could not find her shoes. I remember thinking to myself when I heard this, "why does she not wear another pair of shoes." I later realized that they did not have the money to buy a second pair. I think of that quite often. It is so sad, but such a simple thing that we take for grantid. Just wanted you to know that I was talking to someone, can't remember who, and we were talking about Sunday School teachers that touched our lives the most and both of us said your name. Since I am now a Sunday School Teacher I want to be like you. :)

Allan and Diane said...

What a wonderful experience that must have been. Isn't it interesting how the Lord continually gives us opportunities to see the "big picture".

Desert Rose blooming in Arizona, said...

Thanks for sharing. We do take so much for granted - even shoes. Where would we be without them? Especially in Arizona!!!

Bob and Becky said...

Karla, you have always been so good to keep us in tune with the important things in life. Thanks for sharing.

The Skinners said...

You are so right Karla. I think in life its so easy to take the simple things for granted. Tomorrow I wont be sad we still have snow... I will be glad I have warm boots to wear. Thanks for sharing!