Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Look what I did!

 My Friend had a baby shower for her daughter on Saturday. I told her several weeks ago that I would help her. She asked me if I would cut up the fruit. When I went to pick it up there were two HUGE watermelons, 4 cantaloupe, 4 honeydews, 5 giant pineapples. 3 - 4 lb boxes of strawberries, 2 cases of mangoes, 2 cases of kiwis and two huge containers of grapes.
 Oh. My. Goodness!
 I did not know where to begin. I decided I wanted to do something fancy, so I sent Rod to the store to get some skewers. While he was gone, I cleaned all the strawberries and carved up one of the watermelons.

My attempt at fruit kabobs.

 When Rod got back from the store, I had him help me big time. He peeled all of the mangoes and the kiwis. I chopped up the pineapples and had already washed the grapes. I don't know if you have ever peeled and cut mangoes, but they are real buggers! I cut up the mangoes and kiwis as he was peeling. I also used a melon ball cutter on some of the melons. That was kind of fun! Once the fruit was all cut up, we assembled some skewers and stuck the fruit-kabobs in a cabbage.
This is the baby carriage I made from the watermelon. It was so much fun!


 I wish I had more time to do some more fancy stuff, but it took me all morning to cut up all that fruit! I never could have done it without Rod's help! (He is always so willing to help me in the kitchen - or anywhere -  no matter what I ask him to do! Thanks, Honey!) I just put the rest of the cut up fruit in every huge bowl I own, and in big foil pans and took it for them to refill the carriage, and make more skewers. There were some very capable ladies in the kitchen that actually had planned on just putting cut fruit into big glass bowls as needed, and I think they were a little shocked and what came. They did make some pretty bowls of fruit, though. It was all very colorful!
 I am glad I could help my friend and she was delighted with what I did - but I am also glad I do not cater for a living. Been there, done that - - too much work!

4 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

So so adorable! They look so yummy also.

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I totally want to do that for Chalyses shower now.

Diane and Allan said...

Wow girl, I am impresswed. You always have had the creative touch. Mine would have been some cut up fruit in a bowl. You ROCK!!

Bethany said...

You would do something amazingly cute and creative:) You're awesome!