Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Own Klutz

Ouch! That makes my hand hurt just to think of doing something like that! Pretty impressive to see someone jump that high, in that good a form, and kick that close to another person's face and not hurt them. Hieeeeeeyah! A couple of weeks ago, Rod and I substituted in the 12 & 13 year-old Sunday School class. It was just before school started and we took the liberty of presenting our own lesson material. We talked about goals, about succeeding, about the fact that these kids can do anything they set their minds to, even if other people say they can't. I shared the store of Rudy Ruettiger, a young man back in the 70's that wanted to play football for Notre Dame. There is a movie out about him (of course, it is called "Rudy"). I told them the story and how he was labeled a "dreamer", someone that would never succeed, and someone that was not a doer. The turning point in his life is when he got tired of listening to people tell him he couldn't make his dreams come true. He worked hard, paid the price, sacrificed and made his dream come true. It is a really great story and I highly recommend the movie. The class was actually attentive and I think they liked the story and got the message. Rod then told the story of a young man that was labeled a "klutz" by his first grade teacher. The teacher told his father that the son was so klutzy that the boy would never even be able to throw a ball straight. The father, in his infinite wisdom and with great love for his son, never told the little boy what his teacher had said. The boy grew in to his teens and became very interested in the martial arts, particularly Tae Kwon Do. He progress rapidly through the different levels and soon became a black belt. He won several awards and trophys, and competed whenever he could. At the age of 16 he was teaching his own classes several nights a week and had a successful martial arts school which he financed completely on his own. The pictures above are photos of this young man. Rod showed the pictures to the class and they were duly impressed. Then with a moist eye and a shakey voice, he humbly told the class that he was the young man in the story. His dad told him about the teacher's derrogatory comment after he had filled his mission. Had he known about this teacher's prediction, he may never have gone on to succeed in this sport like he did. It is so easy to let "labels" determine what we do or what we become. Hopefully the only label we will really pay attention to is "Child of God." Each one of us has so much potential, and we can all be successful in one way or another. We just have to be willing to pay the price, to work, practice, sacrifice, and work some more for what we want to become. I just hope that in my own humble way I can live up to my divine potential. It gives me great courage and hope to know that there is a spark of divinity within me, and that I can become like my Father in Heaven. His love for me gives me strength each day. My greatest wish and desire is that my children, step-children, and grandchildren will also come to know the only label that matters is "Child of God," and that they will have the determination to live up to that and fulfill their divine destinies. Katie, Ryan, Julie, Becca, Rachel, Eric, Em, Allen, and Nick - each one is special beyond compare. Savannah, Cooper, and Ava, and all my unborn grandkids - you are my greatest joy and I know you can make your dreams come true! Rod - my own "klutz" - our relationship is the gift I never realized I could have. I am blessed to love each one of you. Thank you! Truly my cup runneth over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i really dig rods hairdo