Sunday, April 01, 2007

You can ALWAYS find beauty

Last weekend, it was the end of our spring break, and after the grandkids left Thursday, it was a little boring around our house. To pass some time, we went for a couple of hikes. The days actually cooled down and we had some rain. We were lucky to find a break in the precipitation and enjoy some out door time. I couldn't help but think that when we are out in the desert, things are thorny, dry, rocky, stickery, and very dead looking. At the start of the trail, some of the bushes were sporting beautiful orange spring flowers! Then, just as we rounded a bend on the trail I saw a beautiful blaze of color. There, in the middle of all the stickery and dead looking cactus, were these gorgeous magenta flowers. WOW! There is always something beautiful. You just have to be aware of it. There was also another really cool thing - there is a bird that nests in the cholla cactus. They build these really beautiful, woven nests that look like a little hive. I spotted one and got close to take a picture. Just as I was focusing, the little bird exploded out of the nest! It scared the spit out of me and I wish I had clicked the camera, but oh well. At least I did get a photo of the nest. The sky was beautiful and we spotted three different storms around us. We did not get rained on, but had an incredible hike - actually cool weather - and saw the beauty of the desert. The air had been washed clean from the rain, the dust was at a minimum, and the desert plants smelled sooooooo good! There is one cactus that is our favorite. It is a Saguaro, with many arms on it. When I first learned about this kid of cactus, I was told that a Saguaro has to be at least 50 years old before it can sprout an arm at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I have really grown to love the desert. There are many things that are different here, but it is amazing!

No comments: