Friday, June 15, 2007

Birthday Flowers

My dear friend Rondaleen brought me these beautiful roses for my Birthday, which was Sunday, June 10th. I love flowers, and this was especially thoughtful of her. There had been some stuff going on at work that was bothering me, and she knew just what I needed. It was not a landmark birthday, or anything like that, but it was another notch on my measuring stick. Let me explain. My dad sent me this email for my birthday, and I thought it was pretty neat: Dear Karla; How are you keeping track of the years passing? If you are beset with worry of such continuance in your daily grind here is a suggestion. It might be a fun thing and become a tradition for your kids. Your great grandfather Kitchen used a tally stick for keeping track of happenings, particularly that of cattle branding. Whenever Kitchen went out to brand calves, he would carry a short stick in his back pocket. When he branded a calf, he would whittle a notch in the stick. In the evenings after he had returned to the house, the notches were transferred to a much longer stick which hung from the rafters in the house. One side represented the heifers; the other side the steers. I counted the notches the other day and by June 10th you will have carved 52 notches. So....HAPPY BIRTHDAY. DID I COUNT RIGHT? I love you .....Dad

No comments: