Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Thoughts on the eyes getting old . . .

Last month, I got it in my head that I was really tired of wearing glasses all the time and wanted to try the contacts. There is a new kind that holds more moisture in the eye and is supposed to be a bifocal, which I must have. I really gave it a fighting try for three weeks! I couldn't see to my satisfaction with the first pair - the power for distance was too strong so it was all blurry. The second week I had another pair that was a little better, but everything in the distance was still fuzzy. The third pair was okay, but words all had a shadow or a "ghost". I had one really good day with the third pair - even wore those suckers for like 13 hours. When I got home and took them out, my eyes were so red! and the right eye had these huge red blood veins running from the inner corner to the iris - it was really gross. Besides, I have "dry eye." So I quit wearing them until my appointment on Saturday. The Dr. said the redness came from the cornea not getting enough oxygen and that I just wasn't a good candidate for contacts. "It is harder for someone your age..." I was so disappointed! Getting old really sucks! Guess I just have to keep wearing the bifocals - but I am going to get new frames and try the "rimless" kind if you get that in a BIFOCAL!!! Ugh!

2 comments:

Allan and Diane said...

well sorry the contacts didn't work. But you are you, in glasses and they look really cute besides. I still wear a mono-vision contact and struggle a bit to see really well. So I don't know where I will go from here. Yes getting old SUCKS.

Kori said...

Aunt Karla, you look darling in glasses so don't sweat it. You really are on of the cutest ladies I know...even if you are getting old!