Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Brunch . . . a tradition that is not to be broken!

You will never BELIEVE what happened today. I was making my traditional Christmas brunch . . . breakfast burritos with eggs, sausage, cheese, hash browns, and then biscuits and gravy. m-m-m-m-m-m-m! Well, right in the middle of cooking, my stove died! I could smell something like melting plastic and thought maybe a bit of Saran wrap had fallen on a burner or something. Even Allen said "something smells electrical!" The biscuits were only half baked, I had just stirred the hash browns to brown the other side, the eggs were ready to scramble, and the sausage was browning nicely. I sort of panicked when I opened the oven and it was not hot in there, and the biscuits were sort of risen, but not browned or done - still pasty looking. And then I noticed that the sausage was no longer sizzling in the pan. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Immediately help was there: my sleuthing team checked the breakers, we reset all the GFCI plugs and still nothing on the stove responded. No lights, no time, no nothing! Needless to say I was pretty upset - I mean this stove is only a year and a half old -we bought it with some tax return money our first spring here. I thought maybe I should just run down to the church and finish, but Rod has a better suggestion. So I called up my good friend, Trudy, and finished cooking everything at her house and then brought it all back home where it was quickly consumed by my hungry fledglings. Everything was good and everone was happy - "WHEW." So tonight - - - I think we'll just have sandwiches. Thank goodness this did not happen last night when I was making our big Christmas Eve dinner - which, by the way, was really good and we had such a great time. More about that later. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! that stinks so bad:(

Allan and Diane said...

oh Karla--I am salavating all over my keyboard. Your Christmas Brunch is still one of our favorite Christmas memories--the girls and I were just talking about it. What delicious memories with you!!