Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Oh What Fun It Is . . .

December First – what a day! It is the official beginning of the month of Christmas. To me the beginning of the season is the day after Thanksgiving. That is usually the day I pull out all the Christmas decorations and go to town. However, I was not home during that time, so Saturday was the day at our house.
Ugh! What messy looking boxes.
We had to pull all this stuff out of the shed while dodging our wild dog.

Nick and Becca were such great help and I think they even had fun.

They did the shelf in the family room with the Christmas garlands and lights.

They helped me do the shelf above the doorway to the family room.

They helped put the tree together, they strung all the lights, and they helped hang the ornaments. Of course, while decorating inside we had our favorite Christmas CD’s playing (Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers, and the Oakridge Boys). That’s just a tradition we cannot break! We decided we had to hang lights outside this year, so we even made a trip to Walmart for an extension cord. We ended up getting the icicle style lights for the outside. I went to the store WITH OUT my makeup – can you believe that? AND the kids would not let me wear my cute snowflake headband with the bells, either! I ALWAYS get myself completely ready every day before I do anything. Oh, well . . . it was necessary and I don’t think anyone that saw me will remember! (Thankfully we did not see anyone we know!)

Nick and Becca were so great outside.

They were climbing ladders, hammering nails,

undoing the ties on the strands, and hanging lights.

The sky was way cloudy and dark.

The wind came up.

Nick was at the highest point on the ladder when the rain started.

I told the kids I thought we could finish if we really hustled.

Then the thunder rumbled.

I told Nick I was not willing to sacrifice him to the lightening Gods and to come down off the ladder! We went back inside and worked on the tree while it rained. During a break in the storm we ran out to finish and discovered that the lights did not finish with the right end to plug into the extension cord, so I climbed the ladder and took the lights down. We switched it around and when I finished it was the same! Wrong end again! I could not figure out what was going on. So I started back to remove the lights and got to where the two lines were plugged together. THAT’S where the problem was, so we only had to switch one line around. Boy, did I ever feel stupid! By the time we actually finished up, it had started to blow and rain again. We did get a little wet, but the lights look good. I still need to get a couple more strands to do one more length of the house.

This is a shot of another of my favorite traditions.

The kids hang ornaments on their ears while decorating.

I love this time of year. I love the Christmas decorations and lights, the traditions, the tree, the manger scenes, the music, the food, the secrets, the excitement – ALL OF IT! Most of all I love the great gift that God gave to us with the birth, life, atonement, death and resurrection of his glorious son, Jesus Christ. I know he is my Savior. I am so thankful for this marvelous gift in my life. It is, indeed, the greatest gift of all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fun! Good job Nick and Becca.

Amy said...

you are so funny! we should patent new lights...that you can plug both ends in. that has happened to me more times than I can admit (even this year if you read my blog about Christmas lights!) Seriously though, i'm glad i'm not the only one to do it. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

ps hope you don't still think i'm a dork

Allan and Diane said...

oh I am sooo jealous with all the good help you had decorating with Becca and Nick. You all look like you had so much fun. Decorating alone these days is not what I would call "fun" even tho Allan did help put the tree in place this year cause we got our first artificial. I also admired all the cute pictures from Luka's arrival. What a joyous occasion. Your granny pictures were adorable--you are such a fun grandma.