Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Stockings Were Hung...

Christmas Eve was a really fun day. Rod had the day off, so I got to spend some time with him. We took the kids shopping to WalMart and Sam's, which surprisingly were not very crowded or busy. In the early afternoon, Rod and I went to Thunderbird for a hike. It was PERFECT weather - in the 60's. We did our favorite 1 hour trail. Coming down of the face of the mountain, we ran into several other hikers. With one group, I had to step up some rocks to get off the trail to let them pass. I put my right foot on a loose rock and down I went, landing right on my left cheek and sort of whip lashing the left side of my body. I was rather humiliated as all these cute teen aged girls were saying "are you okay??" Fine - just leave me alone and let me nurse my hurt pride. It was such a perfect afternoon for a hike and we enjoyed the beautiful outdoors, blue sky, and breeze. When we got home it was time to make Christmas Eve dinner. I fixed Asiago/Pear Pork Loin, sour cream herb mashed potatoes, sauteed asparagus, baby greens with craisins, cashews, red onion, bacon and poppy seed dressing. Rondaleen brought a wonderful blueberry cream cheese jello, Kathy and Larry Percy brought cherry and apple sparkling cider and we had a delicious Black Forrest cake for dessert. It was so much fun to eat such a wonderful meal and share it with our friends. We then read the Christmas story out of Luke 2, and each told of a favorite Christmas memory. After our company left, the kids insisted on opening one present before going to bed. "It's tradition!" Of course, they picked the present from Katie. (She always gives such great gifts!) Nick's was in a big box, and Becca's was in a little tiny square box. She just couldn't figure out what could be in there. They both ended up getting Hurley shirts from Katie and were delighted. Also, they both got Christmas pajamas (early). The stockings were then hung....... And mysteriously during the night the stockings were filled......... We actually had to wake the kids in the morning, and they had been insisting that we not sleep in because it was Christmas! As you can see, Nick got a big buzz from all the suckers in his stocking. He got Wii games and a couple of movies. Becca really loved this present, but won't let me tell what it is because she wants to blog about it. But she got some Hannah Montana piano/guitar books, videos, a huge variety of candy kisses and some clothes. Allen liked what he found in his stocking! (Uncle Ben is always a welcome relative!) Rod was full of surprises as I opened up a really neat digital video camera (the DVD kind with the little discs!), and a GPS for the car. He thinks you must have toys for Christmas! He was also very pleased with his new GPS - that is one toy he really uses and enjoys. We have enjoyed just relaxing today. We took a little walk around our area and with the help of Rod's new GPS we found a Geo-cache. It is fun to look for those. We are so blessed with such an abundant life, and truly my cup runneth over, even if my stove did burn out while I was making Christmas Brunch! Happy Birthday to our Savior, and Merry Christmas to you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We can't wait to see you guys. I miss you so much on days like this. Especially wanting you to see the kids!

Kori said...

What a day! Glad brunch survived. Your holiday sounds great. You are such a good cook I wish I could have sampled some of the eats...but, don't worry...I've definitely been surrounded by pleanty of tasty food. Can't wait to see you guys this Saturday!

Allan and Diane said...

Your Christmas looked truly joyous!

Fsnorkin said...

Hi Karla!

I hope you had wonderful holidays! Its so fun to see your family they are all growing up so fast! Thanks for getting me addicted to this blogging!!! My Addiction is all your fault!!! Maybe we should start a blogging anonymous blog!!!
Love to your family!
Kim McNamara

Debbie said...

it sounds like you guys had a wonderful Christmas. i wish uncle ben visited me this year:)