Saturday, September 12, 2009

What in the heck is this??

I have a little greenhouse window in my kitchen. If you know me very well, you know I have the black thumb of death when it comes to plants, but I do try to keep some little house plants in that particular window. The plant pictured below was adopted sometime last spring. It has seen the depths of dry dirt, and reacted with leaves starting to shrivel before I finally resurrected it with a drink of water. I do try to keep my poor plants watered. It started sprouting the long, long, long stem that you can see, and then SURPRISE! This little weird thing sprouted out of the stem. I have trimmed off two of these stems before, but decided to let this one grow to see what it would do. It got this bundle with little pink balls on it, and then they turned into stars.
The plant has really waxy leaves. I would almost venture to call it a succulent.
You can see the stars on the top left in the above photo. They looked like they were made out of plastic, sort of had a plastic sheen to them. I looked at it every day wondering "what the heck is that?" Then two days ago they started opening!
This is what it looks like today. Isn't this cool! I have these beautiful pink stars with smaller pink stars in the middle, that have brilliant red centers all in one perfect pink bouquet. It just hangs there over the kitchen sink. I have never seen the likes of this before, and it is all on this weird stem thingy that just shot out of the plant. It makes me smile with wonder at the things nature can do. I love it! The End.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome- I love surprises like that!

Bob and Becky said...

Karla...you are the best, and what a wonderful testimony of our Heavenly Father's love....right in the middle of your windowsill...I've never seen such a beautiful plant....so can't help in that department. Have a great week.

heidi said...

i'm glad that you decided to let it grow. what a wonderful surprise. i have no idea what it is, but i like it.

Nikki said...

That is a fun surprise.

Bethany said...

Not only are they pretty, but the pictures are AMAZING!

Janessa Couch said...

That is really pretty. I had a house plant that did the same kind of thing but it will surprise me ever two years or so with a flower that looks like a lily and it lasts for about two months.

Janessa Couch said...

Here is some info that I found on your plant. http://windowsillcactus.com/wc_succulents.shtml