Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Brace Yourself

Today, Becca got her braces. She told me this afternoon that she was a little nervous. I don't blame her. It is quite a process. She is trying to relax here as Melinda puts on the gloves before getting started. Don't you love Becca's expression here?
The firsts item of torture used is what I call the "lip stretchers." Once those little babies were in place, she used a solution to clean the teeth, and then applied this blue gel stuff. It is a primer for the cement for the brackets. She then applied the cement and took the brackets from the mold and placed them on the teeth. The blue light is used to set the molecules in the glue. She said if you look at it, it can burn your eyes like sunlight. There is a special shield in front of the light that she looks through to protect her eyes. She is placing the wire in the top row of brackets here. And ... this is how you thread the floss through to clean each day. Wow, Becca now has a full set of braces on her teeth. She will probably be in treatment for about 20 months. The process is so different now than even a few years ago. In fact, she has a different kind of bracket than Nick does. They are changing and improving all the time with this stuff. I am excited for her to get her teeth straightened. I know she will love the end result. Becca, it really will be worth it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Becca I feel for her - I had to wear braces too. The time will go by faster than she thinks and she will be so thrilled with the results.

Chris Grover said...

Oh the joys of braces! But the joy REALLY comes when they come off and you get to see such a pretty smile! I would probably be amazed at how much it has changed since I had them!

Unknown said...

I am afraid my kids are destined for braces as well. becca looks cute with them though- a regular teen.