Thursday, June 12, 2008

Enhanced Senses

Early Thursday morning, Rod and I hiked up the Muller Park trail again. We went much further than we did on Monday. We decided to go as far as we could in one hour so we could get back to have lunch with Dale and Sherry. I did not take my camera, and wished I had. As I walked along I could not help but be overwhelmed by the incredible gift of our senses. I made a mental list of all the things I had experienced with my senses on this incredible hike and with my family members throughout the day. This is some of what I experienced:
  • Hearing: the birds were singing the whole time we hiked; I could hear the stream rushing through the canyon even though I could not always see it; the wind soughing through the pine boughs; the laughter of baby Luka so free and sweetly given; the chatter of Savannah and Cooper as they busily made pictures for their missionary uncles; the sound of "I love you," spoken by those so dear to me.
  • Sight: the countless shades of green painting all of the trees, grasses, shrubs, and plants; the bluest skies ever, with billowing cloud in shades of gray and white; wild flowers in colors and hues that simply cannot be produced by man; patterns of shade and sun on the trail made by the canopy of branches; inch worms hanging on their silky threads - eeeewwww; baby Luka's toothless, slobbery grin; Luka's chubby legs; Savannah and Cooper's cute hands busy with a project; my husband's loving smile as we shared our day.
  • Smell: pine trees; wind; damp earth; wild flowers; cookies baking; sweaty kids; soap and shampoo; my favorite lotion; food cooking at Chili's; Katie's new house; my new car.
  • Feel: sweat trickling down my back; the breeze making me cold 'cause I was all sweaty; the sun; my muscles working on a steep part of the trail; thirst; joy at the beauties of nature; gratitude to Heavenly Father for my innumerable blessings; love for my family; the comfort of a wonderful hot shower; the touch of a loving hand brush across my shoulder as Rod passed by me; relaxing into bed.
  • Taste: Gatorade - ahhhhhhh; Carmel Fiber One bar - chewy and sweet; chicken tortilla soup - warm and flavorful; salad - always a favorite with all of the colors and textures and flavors; chicken tostada - spicy; Jr. Mints - mmmmmmm.
Wouldn't life be boring without all of the things our senses allow us to enjoy and enhance our lives! I mean we just go on with life everyday and take these things for granted. I am so thankful for the amazing body that Heavenly Father gave to me and how it serves me and makes my life so incredible!

No comments: