Sunday, October 07, 2007

My forgotten talent . . .

A couple of weeks ago, I took Becca and went to JoAnn's Fabric store. I decided I wanted to make some receiving blankets for baby Luka, who will make his appearance the day after Thanksgiving. (I bought my tickets to be there for the event in July. Can't wait!) Last night I pulled out my sewing machine, dusted it off (YUCK!), and set it up on the kitchen table. I got the fabric out and started trimming the selvages and making the pieces square for the little blankets. As I was trimming away, I remembered that I had a cutting board and a rolling cutter I could use, so I dug around and found that stuff.

It was much faster and easier and did a much better job at trimming the edges! I had forgotten I even had that stuff. It was so much fun to indulge in this project. As I sat there and started sewing, I was flooded with memories of sewing projects in the past and how much I loved to sew. I remembered how my mom sat at that machine for hours each summer, making us beautiful school dresses. I thought of my first sewing experiences using my mom's old black Singer sewing machine. I made Barbie clothes and doll clothes. She told me that if I could make those tiny patterns, I could surely make my own clothes, so she took me to the fabric store and I got the material for my first dress made by me! I was in the 5th grade. By the time I was in high school, she told me I was a better seamstress than she, and that I should be doing my own sewing from then on, so I did! I even ended up sewing for hire. Through out my life, I have made many articles of clothing and lots of baby blankets and quilts. I remember making Katie and Julie their school clothes, matching Easter dresses, swim suits, knit t-shirts, jeans, night gowns, and even their undies. It is something I have always loved doing. I taught Katie when she was a girl, and she made some shorts and shirts for herself and Julie. Julie learned during high school in her Home Ec class. Becca wants to make some PJ bottoms, so I bought her the material. She picked out the cow pattern - she wanted Luka to have that for one of his blankets.

I think I will pull out the machine tomorrow night and get her started. Wish me luck...

I thought the cow pattern would look cute with a special edge, so I used the machine embroidery feature on it. I did a design on the blue soccer fabric as well. The others are just a plain stitch, but each stitch is sewn with Grammy's love for baby Luka.

Here are the finished receiving blankets. I think they will be so cute for our new little guy! I picked out the soccer fabric special just for him. I think I will not wait so long for my next sewing project. I had forgotten how much I love to sew!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! I love them- thank you so much.

julie said...

I have always admired the way you sew! It is a talent that many people are not fortunate to have. Your receiving blankets are the best, I loved the one you made for Ava and I can't wait to see these new ones wrapped around Luka! I love You!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful seamstress - Sometime I need to have you show me how to size a pattern, ok? Tell Becca that the cow fabric is my favorite! What a great blessing it is to be a grandma!!

Chris Grover said...

that really is one of your talents! these are so adorable! i am so envious of people who can sew!

Allan and Diane said...

hey girl-your blankets are so darling. You were always the "queen" at the machine!