Saturday, November 24, 2007

House Building - leave it to Carpenters!

I thought it would be fun to build a gingerbread house with Cooper and Savannah. They were so cute as they carefully placed the candies where they wanted them. I told them it was their house and they could make it however they wanted to.I have been big on that since my dear friend, Becky Cox, gave me one that she had specially made for me. I just loved it and I think of her every time I do this project. I have made many kinds, from tiny graham cracker houses to sugar cookie dough, to gingerbread. I baked several models for Nick's 6th grade class, and then did several for Becca's 5th grade class. As of late, I have found it quite nice to just buy a kit and forget about making the dough, pattern, cutting, etc. It is pretty nice to just slip it out of the box, have the frosting already made and just piece it together and decorate! The kids had quite a good time, and our house is done. Right after I snapped this final picture, the roof slid off! Ha! That is why I say leave the building of houses to carpenters. I did get the frosting and re-stuck the roof. 3 hours later, it is still intact, so I think the house will be around for a little while. It kind of reminds me of the story of Hansel and Gretel, on of my favorites. But if you think about it is quite a gruesome story, huh? I mean a witch that eats kids and then they push her in the oven to do away with her? Glad our Christmas Gingerbread houses have just a little different feel to them...

5 comments:

julie said...

You are such a fun Grammy! I wish Ava could have been here to help too. We will do ours when she gets home, but it won't be the same without you.

The Skinners said...

How fun! I want to do that over the holidays with Cole. Hope we get to see you this Christmas!

Chris Grover said...

those are so great! what a fun experience for the kids to have with their grammy! it looks like you had a wonderful trip out to utah! and a brand new beautiful baby to adore!

sosilly said...

Now I'm scared! I bought those same gingerbread houses. If you "the talented great" had a struggle then I am really in trouble!!! I am so glad you got to be with your adorable grandkids. You are such a good GMA too!
Pam

Anonymous said...

How fun to share in your wonderful experiences with your children and grandchildren. I think I will have to try making one of these pages.
Merry Christmas to all of you once Corcoranites.